News Review
National Night Out street closure permits necessary
Posted Date: 6/16/2014
Police Chief Jim Duscha is encouraging neighborhood groups to hold National Night Out parties on Tuesday, Aug. 5, 2014

National Night Out, promoted by the National Association of Town Watch, is an annual celebration for communities to say good bye to crime. Neighborhood groups wanting to hold block parties are asked to apply for street use permits by June 11th if they plan to close their streets for National Night Out activities for the first time. Neighborhood groups that have previously closed their streets for this event must apply by July 3rd.

National Night Out is held the first Tuesday of August each year to bring attention to crime and drug prevention awareness and generate support in anti-crime efforts, like the Block Watch program. Neighborhoods are encouraged to have barbecues, potlucks or other activities to allow for visiting with neighbors.

There is no fee for a street use permit, but paperwork must be turned in at least 60 days before a first time event. Groups that have held the event before must turn in their permit paperwork at least 30 days in advance. Street use permit applications are available at Longview City Hall.

Street use permit applications also are available online via Go to Your Government, select City Departments and then select Engineering. On the Engineering page, select Permits in the Important Links box. Then choose Street Use Application.

Completed street use permits should be turned in at the engineering department at City Hall. Office hours are 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday.

Neighborhood groups who are planning National Night Out activities and would like representatives of Longview Police Department to drop by are asked to contact CPL. Danielle Jenkins at or (360) 442 5800. Due to staffing levels and call load, there is no guarantee that police officers will be able to visit National Night Out parties as in years past, but the effort will be made.