July 24 City Council meeting in brief
• Presentation of the Association of Washington Cities Well City Award to the City of Longview. In addition to improving the health of city employees, this award entitles the City to a 2% premium reduction for medical benefits provided through the Association.
• Approved a letter of intent and efforts to develop a sister city relationship with the Qishuyan District of Changzhou, China.
• Directed the city attorney to prepare an ordinance allowing changeable copy electronic signs in the Downtown Commerce District.
• Appointed Laurie Taylor to the Parks and Recreation Board.
• Appointed Reuben Grendahl to the Lodging Tax Advisory Committee.
• Approved a Memorandum of Understanding between the City, Cowlitz County, and Cowlitz County Public Facilities District to assure repayment of City bonds issued to complete the Columbia Theatre renovation.
• Bob Gregory, City Manager, announced his resignation effective by the end of 2014.