The Shay Locomotive has returned to the Library campus, so All Aboard for an evening of free family festive fun on Tuesday, December 17, from 6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Highlights include:
- Chief Jurmu and luminaria light the way to the Shay: Fire Chief Jurmu will collect your ticket to get a seat in the Shay! Luminaria will lead you on the path of lights to the historic locomotive. Sit in the Engineer’s seat and ring the bell! Hear how Jeff Wilson and the other volunteers saved the Shay! Meet Tim Shay, a descendant of the inventor!
- The Byker Family Bluegrass Band: What’s your favorite train song? From Engine #9 to The Little Red Caboose, anything is possible; tap your toes or sing along!
- Polar Express: 100 minutes, PG, 2004. Munch popcorn while watching this musical adaptation of Chris van Allsburg’s award-winning book in the Library Auditorium.
- Lego™ Model Railroad Layout: See the display of Rick Loewen’s amazing Lego™ railroad and model town. Then try your hand at making your own and watch the engine pull it around the track!
- Ticket To Ride: This board game lets you take on the role of the railroad tycoon, connecting routes across the continents! Proficient players will be on hand to help you play the game!
- Snacks in the Dining Car: Choo, choo, choo your food and enjoy Starbucks hot chocolate!
- Take a Ride on the Reading: Listen to the best of railroad stories new and old and explore some special train pop-up books.
- Meet volunteers from the Historic Kelso Train Station and find out how you can help.
- More, more, more! Little ones can ride the PufferBelly Express! Make a Name Train growth chart or a candy train ornament! Play “Pin the Steam on the Engine” and more!
Library events are always free and open to everyone. For more information, contact the Longview Public Library at 360.442.5301 or click on “Kids” at: www.longviewlibrary.org